SD cards are the devices that made storage much more feasible device in today's world. It is compatible with your android phones, mp3 players, in some cases high capacity SD card can also be used as a bootable drive for your computer and store your data like you do on a hard drive.
If you encountered a scenario where you are unable to access all the files residing on your SD card, in this article you will learn hassle-free methodologies on how to resolve the issue and get back your inaccessible or lost data.
Before we storm ahead with solution, let us first understand what scenarios can make your SD card to become inaccessible in the section below.
Causes for the Corruption of SD card
Below listed are the common scenarios for corruption in SD card:
- Physical damage to the SD card
- Corrupt SD card file system
- Abruptly removing the SD card from a device during file transferring
- Usage the same memory card on multiple devices
- Improper ejection of the SD card
- Virus Malware
If you have faced any of the above scenarios, there are effective solutions to fix your SD card. Also, the data residing on your SD card could be retrieved depending on the cause of corruption.
However, in cases of severe corruption, fixing SD card can mean losing your precious data. To recover lost or deleted data from SD card you can make use of reliable data recovery tool like CAT data recovery tool. The tool can effortlessly recover lost or deleted data within a matter of few clicks.
How to Fix Corrupted SD card?
In this section you will learn the simple and effective methods to repair your corrupted SD card, there are different approaches to fix the corruption as mentioned below.
Solution 1: Repair the corrupted SD card using Command prompt
- Connect the corrupted SD card to your computer
- go to "My Computer/This PC."
- under the "Devices and drives" section, locate the SD card and note its drive letter
- Now run Command Prompt and type "
chkdsk h: /r", where "h" is the drive's letter
- After connecting the corrupt memory card to your computer
- Go to "Device Manager"
- Right-click on the SD card and select "Disable"
- Wait for a few minutes and then click "Enable"
- For the changes to take effect, you may have to restart your computer
- Open Disk Management
- Look for the SD card
- Right-click on the SD card
- Select "Change Drive Letter and Paths"
- After applying the changes, restart your system and connect the SD card again
The Command Prompt scans the corrupted SD card and checks for the issues and repairs the corrupt SD card. Once the scanning process is completed, connect the memory card to see if the "SD card is still damaged". When corruptions are severe command prompt might prove to be ineffective. Follow the next set of steps for further troubleshooting.
Solution 2: Disable and Enable the SD card
Solution 3: Assign a new letter drive for SD card
Solution 4: Format your SD card
If the above methods have not worked out, we recommend you to format the SD card. By doing this you will be able to resolve the corruption issue. By formatting all the residing data on the SD card will be completely lost. You will have to recover your lost data from SD card.
Most of the above solutions will resolve the issue, if not you will have to recover the lost or deleted data using reliable data recovery tool like CAT data recovery tool. The tool can recover lost data even in cases of inaccessible or severely corrupt SD card.
It is recommended that when data is inaccessible or none of the repair solutions work, try to recover data using CAT recovery tool before you format it. This is because when formatted there might be a chance the recoverable data might get overwritten.